|Associate Director - Creative Consulting (Design Strategy)|
At Designworks, we use Design Research and Strategy to create meaningful, repeatable and describable business value for our clients.
• We are Designers and Researchers, Strategists and Visualizers.
• We inform and inspire.
• We help create future visions and the paths to achieve them.
• We map. We frame. We get people talking and enable design cultures.
• We love the pursuit of meaning.
In the role of Associate Director, Creative Consulting you will be a key contributor on the Creative Consulting team, responsible for developing solutions for clients that sit at the seam of Design and Business.
You’ll collaborate with department Directors to develop strategic plans for new products or services that improve communication, strengthen brand perception and enhance customer experiences for clients.
You will also contribute to an on-going dialogue on the evolution of Creative Consulting services, by bringing project knowledge to various Studio and Global teams within DesignworksUSA.
Dimensions of the Role
The AD role has three dimensions; Account Management and Project Steering, Client Consulting and Service Development.
Client Consulting (Client-Facing):
• Consult a diverse array of clients from many industries (Medical, Mobility, Consumer Electronics, Capital Equipment, Consumer Packaged Goods, etc.), moderating discussions on the strategic value of design and design thinking
• Lead Vision Finding dialog with clients, ensuring these visions are meaningful and sustainable
• Lead Path Finding dialog with clients, laying out how we can use design to bridge from today to the vision timing
• Introduce and socialize new approaches to qualitative (or hybrid quant-qual) research that illuminates today’s experiences and is actionable for drawing insights and crystallizing opportunities
• Develop powerful, creative visual presentations and compelling stories with clear recommendations and roadmaps for action to senior executives
• Manage for client satisfaction and project profitability
Account Management, Team Leadership and Project Steering (DW Facing):
• Contribute to success of existing accounts by contributing to developing and implementing account strategies, growth and action plans
• Develop relationships, feedback mechanisms and behaviors to understand and address client, team and individual needs
• Inspire team to iterate and test select insights and ideas into recommendations to transform clients’ businesses
• Provide Director with project planning, scope, resources, budget, timing and deliverables
• Support Creative Consulting proposal development process
• Clearly communicate project targets, status and progress to Department Directors and project teams
• Select and manage vendors in support of research needs and project deliverables
• Present work internally and to clients at intervals, proposing need for modification and scope changes when relevant
• Manage, support, monitor, execute project plans and budget for projects
• Ensure seamless communication internally, with BMW Group Partners, external clients, and outside partners
CC Service Development:
• Contribute to our internal perspective on the evolution of Creative Consulting services
• Participate in internal round-tables on keeping our services agile, drawing from your perspectives on client consulting
• Recommend new service types and internal processes that will create more meaningful or more present business value for our clients
• Experiment! Co-create new hybrid tools that mash-up best practices from design and business consulting
• Visualize! We are design and we cut through complexity by visualizing… Participate in developing new forms of visualization that accelerate understanding
• Bachelor’s degree in Industrial Design or related design field or hybrid Masters in Business/Design
• 7+ years experience leading, managing, driving and creating collaborative business solutions in creative or related business consulting
• Expertise in design thinking, creative problem solving, implication management and strategic consulting methods are critical in this position.
• Ability to identify and select the critical business areas (e.g. market research) that will add significant value to a creative product/portfolio or business problem-solving project.
• Ability to direct, mentor and supervise less experienced team members with the proper balance of skills, consistency, quality and encouragement.
• Ability to use knowledge, business acumen and consulting experience to produce highest quality deliverables in cost effective and timely manner
• Demonstrated ability to organize and deliver powerful presentations of concepts, recommendations and solutions to a variety of internal and external audiences
• Ability and willingness to travel (domestic and international)
Position is based at our Southern California design studio located just north of Los Angeles in Newbury Park.
Candidates who are not US citizens or permanent residents need to have authorization to work in US in order to apply.
If you share our vision and view yourself as an independent, creative thinker, please submit a resume/CV and a portfolio or link to your work below.
Would you like to apply to this job?